CP5 is a networked publishing platform that provides advanced tools for managing your content in today's 24/7 news cycle. Staying true to College Publisher's roots, the system's features are developed with college newsroom feedback. We take the Atex code base, Polopoly, and surface the tools needed to get content and multimedia files online fast.
From a technical perspective, CP5 allows for a great amount of customization on your site, specifically newspaper staff are enabled to:
- Publish news when it happens, as it happens regardless of issue dates
- Redesign section pages and front page everyday
- Automate publishing to keep content fresh on the home page
- Integrate blogs into the searchable archive of content
- Focus on storytelling, not site programming
From a workflow perspective, the CP5 administrative area offers:
- Drag-and-drop section page layout
- Objects allowing custom HTML/CSS input for Flash, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and similar third-party sites.
- Interactive preview mode allowing real time design editing
- Bulk uploads of stories using our XML/InDesign importer
- User permissions to prevent unauthorized posts, e-mails and stylesheet changes
CMN sites are configured very uniquely insofar that each site manages its own content, but readers have the opportunity to discover content from accross the network of sites. Not only that, the network buoys SEO because the network bar essentially automatically enables your site to be listed on the rest of the network (or hundreds of other credible news sources).
Other open source CMS's like WordPress or Django offer similar flexibility in publishing and design management as CP5, but cannot address the distribution CMN can offer through the network model. College Publisher also does not face the same fate as student build legacy systems - we upgrade the tools and develop the platform to stay on the cutting edge of digital publishing and are available every semester to train the new staff to take this on.
This site, Collegepublisher.com, is built on the same CP5 platform our newspaper partners. It is designed to be a resource for newspapers using CP5 as well as an example of the types of presentation methods and strategies college newspapers can employ.
We encourage you to poke around and learn more about our services, the publishing platform and ways to monetize your site using CP5.